randomizing list order and nested loops

Rachna Mutreja rmutreja at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 15:53:15 UTC 2010

Hi Melissa,

You could copy the list 6 time and weight it once and then randomize without
duplication. To keep track of each line, you can create another column
called "Item" and number it starting from 1 onwards to make sure that the
same item is not repeated multiple times.

Rachna

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:13 PM, melissa <melissa.dewolf at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to randomize my list of trials such that I have 8
> different categories and then 6 examples within each category and 1
> example from each of the 8 categories must be shown before the the
> next set of examples in a random order.  Right now I have each of the
> 8 categories separated into different lists with the 6 examples in
> each of the category lists.  Then in my trial list, I call each of the
> 8 categories once, in a random order.  Then, in my block list, I
> weighted the block procedure 6 times.  However, when I ran it, for
> some reason I got multiple trials with the same category in the first
> block- I thought that if I selected "random" it does duplicate
> trials.  Is this a product of the way I am weighting the list or
> nesting it?  Is there a better way to organize the lists?
>
> Thank you
>
> --

Project Coordinator
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory
Northwestern University
2240 Campus Drive
Frances Searle Building, Room 2-330
Evanston, Illinois, 60208