Specifying output data file location?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jan 28 20:02:16 UTC 2010

At 1/21/2010 04:08 PM Thursday, David McFarlane wrote:
>As discussed below, the StartupInfo file facility promises the
>answer for EP2.  This was announced at least as far back as Oct 2007
>(see http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic609-6-1.aspx ), but no
>details have been forthcoming since then.  I myself have a Web
>Support request about this very issue going back to Dec 2008, at
>which time Matt said that the StartupInfo file would "be available
>in an upcoming build" when a public editor became available (a
>"public editor"!?  why not just use a plain old text file that we
>can view and edit as we like??), and that he would notify me when
>this happened.  Over a year later, and I have not seen any such
>notice.  Perhaps it's time for me to update my support request.

OK, I did some legwork and at long last got the following response
from Matt at PST:

"The public build that includes the StartupInfo Editor (2.0.8.73) was
just released in December. Anyone can get it via the Download section
on the support site or via
http://www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support/getep2.asp. Note that this is
available in E-Prime 2.0 Professional only.

"The StartupInfo Editor functionality is documented in the New
Features Guide, available through the E-Prime 2.0 folder on the
Windows Start menu.

"Basically, the StartupInfo Editor is an easy way to edit
*.startupinfo files, which are XML-based. You don't have to use the
editor, however, and the *.startupinfo files can be edited through
Notepad or some other text editor. You can also make changes to the
files through E-Prime (e.g., to increment a subject number for the
next run, etc). The syntax for doing this is provided in the New
Features Guide."

I responded to Matt (with slight revisions) as follows:

Thanks.  To be fair to you folks, I see now that Brandon posted this
in a pinned topic on the Forum, and I had read that post but forgot
about it.  OTOH the threads discussing this issue were left hanging,
and that is what set me off here.  Now here are some questions.

- Very glad to hear that we can in principle make a StartupInfo file
with any text editor.  So, do I need to install EP2.0.8.73 just to
read the documentation, or is there some other way for me to get the
documentation so I can get started exploring StartupInfo files?  I
have downloaded 2.0.8.73, but unfortunately I am not at liberty to
upgrade from 2.0.8.22 just yet, and it seems silly to need to upgrade
just to read some documentation.  Surely you can do better that
that.  Perhaps you could attach a version of the latest "New Features Guide".

- Once we have made a proper StartupInfo file (using any appropriate
editor) will it work in earlier versions of EP2 (e.g., 2.0.8.22), or
non-Pro editions, or even EP1 versions that generate script referring
to the StartupInfo file (you can bet I will test this out myself at
some point, but I would prefer some advanced hints from you)?

- That's all very nice that PST supplies documentation of new
features in, well, the "New Features Guide".  But I read the "New
Features Guide" when we first got EP2 and saw it as just another
marketing brochure to highlight features new to EP2 from EP1, so I
would never think to look at it again for technical documentation of
features added in updates within EP2.  What you need is a simple
"What's New" text file with a complete revision history that geeks
like me would actually look at.

- Looking beyond the StartupInfo file to broader issues, how can we
get automated notices of E-Prime developments?  Sure, the PST
Newsletter is a good start, but that does not come out often enough
(only quarterly) and is more a marketing tool that an instrument for
useful technical updates.  E.g., I would like a notice whenever a new
article gets added to the KB so that I can keep up to date.  And
please do not suggest using RSS, I have tried RSS and found it useless.

public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."  (Richard Feynman,
Nobel prize-winning physicist)