bypassing an attribute

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:01:48 UTC 2010

Hi Matt,

You might try something using different 'slidestates'. A slide can
contain several 'states' which are basically several versions of the
slide... When looking at a slide in e-studio you see in the bottom
left corner that it is actually a kind of 'tab'. You can add
slidestates by clicking one of the icons in the top menu. This way you
could have one state that contains 5 values and one slide that
contains 10 and call them... 'five' and 'ten' (or whatever you
please). In your triallist you would make a separate variable that
would contain the name of the slidestate to be used (call it for
instance: nvalues) and for each trial (level) specify a slidestatename
in this variable (i.e. five in level1 and ten in level2). Back to the
slide: in the preferences you can specify which slidestate of the
slide should be shown; set it to show [nvalues] which tells e-prime
that the name of the slidestate to be used must be subtracted from the
variable nvalues for each showing of the slidestate. This way: for a 5
value's trial value 6 to 10 might be determined by e-prime but as
there is no slide shown that 'calls on them' they will be 'bypassed'.

Hope this helps!

Best,

AW