Serial port input device

Daniel schizophrenicdan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:46:32 UTC 2010

Hey,

I have recently created several response devices that are basically
wires connected to buttons that feed in to either a serial port or a
parallel port (depending on which we need to use). I am using e-prime
2.0 for this and setting up the parallel port was relatively easy and
the buttons work just fine. However, when I try to use the buttons
through a serial port the following happens: under the experiment tab
and under devices I added a serial device and put in the correct
parameters for the device, including the correct address (COM1). Now
when I go to the object which I want the buttons responses to be
recorded on and try to add the serial port as an input device, there
is no option for a serial port. There are only options for a keyboard,
mouse, and parallel port.

Honestly, I am also unsure if, for some reason, the computer is unable
to detect the device connected through the serial port. But, it works
just fine for the parallel. I did not do the wiring for the serial
port adapter but the buttons are connected to pin 1 or pin 2
(depending on the button), with what looks like a ground connected to
pin 5.

Any ideas?