CRT vs. LCD

Peter Quain pquain at une.edu.au
Thu Mar 4 14:51:04 UTC 2010

Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 09:08:43 -0700
To: DMDX at psy1.psych.arizona.edu
From: "j.c.f." <jforster at psy1.psych.arizona.edu>
Subject: [DMDX] LCD flat panel displays and experiments
Sender: DMDX-owner at psy1.psych.arizona.edu

   I've noticed several machines in the last couple of weeks running
DMDX with flat panel displays in the department, no great surprise as
it's getting pretty challenging to buy a machine with a CRT.  Just
buying stand alone CRTs is challenging.  But people need to be aware
that using an LCD flat panel is not the same thing as using a CRT is
as far as experimental displays are concerned, regardless of whether
you're using DMDX or some other program.

   If you're not really interested in accurate display timing you can
hit control D now and I apologize for the interruption to your email
reading experience.

   However those of you that are interested in tachistoscopic
displays, masked priming and anything else measuring RTs down to tens
of milliseconds and less need to be aware that an LCD flat panel's
display is going to be lagged by some arbitrary and variable amount
of time unless the video mode that is being used is exactly the
native resolution of the display.  Worse, it can skip whole retraces
of displayed data.  This applies to laptops as well as desktops,
however it's faintly possible given a laptop's integration the
problem may not be so acute.  Wouldn't surprise me if it was just as
acute, put it that way.  So a 17" flat panel really needs to use
1280x1024, a 20" one 1600x1200 and so on.

   It gets worse, recently I've seen two sets of displays that both
accept 60, 70 and 75 Hz displays.  One set of them didn't even
display things properly at 70 Hz (which is fine, you'd hardly miss
it) but one set only worked properly without lag and dropped frames
at 60 Hz and the other set only at 75 Hz.

   I'm updating the TimeDX documentation to make the steps clearer
but it's basically a matter of getting the Refresh Rate's display to
be smooth.  A sure but counter intuitive sign that you haven't got
the right settings is TimeDX being able to correctly determine the
retrace interval (as that test was designed to do) but having the
display flicker.  Here the hardware that TimeDX is looking at is fine
and it's able to be timed correctly but the monitor on the end of all
that that TimeDX doesn't have access to is doing it's own rendering
of what it's being sent and taking it's own sweet time to do it and
dropping frames as it needs to when it's too slow.

   So they can be made to work as scientific instruments, they just
take more work and only run at one display mode and refresh rate.  To
date anyway, who knows what tomorrow may bring ;)
                                                /"\
  -jonathan (j.c.f.)                            \ /
     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL  / \

   Standard parts are not.
                                       - Murphy's Technology Laws
                                             www.murphys-laws.com