CRT vs. LCD

Tobias tobias.fw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:40:24 UTC 2010

I had a discussion yesterday with a collegue from another lab about
display types. I am always using CRT displays for my experiments
because they have higher refresh rates and no decay in which color
values might differ from what you programmed.
However, this guy was bringing forward an argument I have not thought
about so far: For LCDs you have a stable overall picture at any given
moment. A CRT display virtually draws one point after another, i.e.
you never see an entire, let's say circle but your brain makes you see
it as the point and lines are drawn so rapidly. I was shown photos
made by a digital camera with really short shutter times (less than 5
ms) and for CRT displays you can never see entire stimuli whereas for
LCDs you do.

So I was wondering what kind of display you are using in your labs and
what your experiences are. Maybe there will develop a fruitful
discussion.

Cheers,
Tobias