Display text (or anything) in front of a video

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 9 17:27:51 UTC 2010

David V,

Thanks.  But, um, I am running EP2 Pro, and I do not see any
capability there to run multiple videos on a Slide, whether or not
they overlap.  Indeed, at http://www.pstnet.com/eprime.cfm PST does
claim that EP2 Pro can "Play multiple movies simultaneously on
critical timing trials", but until another user can testify to that
or PST sends me a working demo, I consider that to be just another
one of their many empty promises.

<editorial>
And since you bring up the issue of names for the two
editions...  Originally PST used "E-Prime 2.0 Professional" to refer
to the Pro edition, and just plain "E-Prime 2.0" to refer to the
non-Pro edition, which left us no way to refer to EP2 in a
non-specific way and as you might imagine led to considerable
confusion.  PST has since relented and now officially calls the
non-Pro version "Standard".  This is an improvement, but I still
object that what they call "Standard" is not, well, standard.  The
true standard is Pro, and non-Pro is only for those in special
circumstances.  I searched for my own alternative term and I too
wanted to call non-Pro something like Baby or Amatuer (which I find
just a bit too perjorative) or Basic (which then gets confused with
the language BASIC).  I sort of settled on calling the non-Pro
version "Base", in the sense of a capable base model that
nevertheless lacks enough amenities that no one seriously buys it
(rather like the "base" model offered by automobile
manufacturers).  Sadly, now that PST officially calls it "Standard",
if I start referring to "Base" then no one will know what I am
talking about.  Hence, as ugly and confusing as it is, I keep
referring to Pro vs. non-Pro.
</editorial>