On one slide, show different images, loaded from a list

Vera vera.donk at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 10 21:55:48 UTC 2010

Hi Liwenna,

first a big, huge thanks for replying!! :) It sure makes one want to
rip out less hair just knowing that you're not alone. ;)
Just a few comments on what you wrote:

> One thing that is elemental to understand when using e-prime, is that
> on each run of a procedure one level of each of the nested lists can
> be used. If you need nine different pictures in one 'run of the
> procedure' you can not put them in different rows as e-prime can only
> acces one level of each list on each run. So... you wrote: " like
> putting the 9 images in one line of the nested list, but then I get
> other errors", and you were definitely on the right track!

Yep, doesn't work, but it was a nice try! ;)

> Do the nine images have the same positions on each trial? Or are they
> placed in different 'arrangements' on every trial?

For the moment they are at the same position every time, but thanks
for the instructions below, we might be using that later. :)

> What you could do is make one (nested or direct) list that has nine
> attributes on every row containing the nine pictures used in a trial,
> call them for instance stim1, stim2, stim3,...stim8 and targetstim. In
> each level of this list you can make a different combination of
> stimuluspictures. In your slide you'll have nine imageobjects: make
> each one of them refer to a different stimulus attribute: [stim1]
> [stim2] ... [targetstim].

Yep, thought of that option too, but there is one problem to it: we
want the images to appear completely at random (so in each trial with
9 images there is 1 target, 4 distractors(type1) and 4
distractors(type2). Each item can be at 9 different positions. Which
would make (ok, I might be wrong here, I don't remember very well the
correct chance calculations) something like... a lot (!!!!) of
combinations, no? Or is there some way to tell E-Prime to randomize 9
attributes (9 columns basically)?

> So far so good: now you'll have different collections of stimpictures
> on each run (as many different 'collections' as you have made
> different levels in your list). If you need them to be placed in
> different spatial arrangement on each trial you should start out with
> creating the number of different arrangements that you want to use.
> For each arrangement write down the x and y values of each of the
> imageobjects. (so: imageobject 1 showing [stim1] has x = 500 and y=68
> in arrangement 1 and x = 950 and y =780 in arrangement 2  for
> instance). Into the list with stimuluspictures nest a second list that
> holds the different arrangements. This list will have 9x2=18
> attributes: stim1x, stim1y, stim2x, stim2y, stim3x... targetstimy. Go
> back to your slide and now tell the slideobjects to find their x and y
> values in the corresponding attributes, just like they find their
> pictures: [stim1x] [stim1y] [stim2x] etc etc.
> Now... you'll have spent a lot of time but you will have a random
> combination of a collection of target and distractorpictures with one
> of the different spatial arrangements on each trial.

:D Like you said, I will for sure have spent a lot of time! :) But it
might be some kind of solution maybe, I will have to think of it. But
then again, I think that
there will be too many combinations possible.

> Alternatively.... I say it should be possible to use 'complete array'
> pictures that you make in for instance photoshop or even paint....
> pictures that have the size of the screen and show all nine stimuli at
> once... you could tell e-prime to show one of those pictures on each
> trial and locate a single 'transparant empty' imagobject over the
> location of the targetstimulus (you should fiddle around a bit with a
> non-transparant coloured object to find the exact location needed for
> each 'array picture' and actually place this imageobject UNDER the
> arraypicture and not in front).This imageobject will then be the
> object to which you point your dohittest script (assuming that that's
> what you will use? have your subjects click the mouse on the target?).
> Not sure if that will work.. think it should.

Yep, have been thinking of that too, but it for sure isn't the most
elegant solution, as the random again will be more or less
"biased" (one can only make so many combinations).

> I hope the above stuff will get you started again, if not, please let
> me know.

Yep, thanks for the reflexions! :) As I said, it sure helps to know
that other people have thought of this too. :) For the moment I am
working on a (although I am an absolute beginner as far as programming
is concerned) solution with an inline script. I was thinking that
maybe I can tell Eprime to load 3 numbers into this column where
normally pictures would be, randomize the whole and then maybe
according to the numbers Eprime could load some corresponding images?

I however just still don't want to believe that this could be the only
solution (especially because "my problem" is working fine when you
replace the images on the slide by text and tell Eprime to randomly
load strings (words) from a nested file). Ah well...

Thanks a lot anyway for replying and if I find a solution, I will let
you know. :)

Greetings,

Vera