Helper functions and global variables

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 25 12:37:26 UTC 2010

David,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
really does like to take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they strive
to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of it.  3) If you
do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy of
posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take ...

1) Study Chapter 4, "E-Basic", of the User's Guide that came with
E-Prime.  (Beyond that, do yourself a favor and work through all of the
Getting Started Guide and User's Guide; you may leave the Reference
Guide for later.)

2) The online E-Basic Help may not work because Vista removed support
for the older (and long deprecated) .hlp format.  To enable the online
E-Basic Help, you must either download and install the .hlp reader for
Vista from Microsoft, or install a newer version of EP2, which comes
with online E-Basic Help in the newer .chm format (which has its own
problems).

3) Although the online E-Basic Help is indeed the closest we get to
actual technical documentation, it will not answer all your questions as
it is incomplete and in several places just plain wrong.  So beware, you
still have to user your own wits when figuring out E-Prime.