Logging RT with slide duration set at 1ms

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 12:08:19 UTC 2010

Nope not possible, but for a very different reason than you think (or
so I guess).

Any idea how insanely short 1ms is? It's too short for your display to
catch up on: i.e. e-primewise it might be possible to have a 1ms slide
duration but there is no display that can do 1ms refreshes (that would
require a refreshrate of 1000 hz!). There is much ado regarding
refresh rates on lcd screens, as far as I know the general consensus
for millisecond timing in the scientific community is that you should
always use CRT displays and if by any chance possible you ought to
verify their refresh rate yourself, rather than just rely on, for
instance, e-prime to get the timing correct by itself. So.. say you
have a 90hz CRT screen,  you'd have a complete screen refresh every
11.11 milliseconds and this then is the shortest presentation time
possible. Therefore your 1ms slides are probably shown at 11.11 (90
hz), 11,76 (85hz), 13,33 (75 hz) etc ms.

I am not sure what you'd need 1 ms slide durations for but I daresay
that such a design is impossible to implement. If you decide to adjust
your set-up and still need ms timing on this very low ms range: there
is a number of techniques that should be used to get e-prime to
actually give the timing that you think it should give. If I remember
correctly the manual has a chapter dedicated to milliseconds timing.

Best,

AW