Sound files, Crashing, and Windows 7 (not as catchy as sun, sea and sangria) Update??

aoifemcloughlin fifilabouche at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:32:57 UTC 2010

Hi all,

PST have just replied to me with this response:

Aoife,

While PST has not officially published timing results for Windows 7,
internal timing results have been positive for Windows 7 in regards to
experiment timing, display accuracy, and response devices in
comparison to other operating systems. The caveaut to why the delay
for publishing the timing results is in regards to support for the PST
Serial Response Box (SRBOX) under x64 editions of the operating
systems as well as low latency consistent timing for audio/sound
experiments. PST is internally verifying a 64-bit driver for the
SRBOX. For audio experiment, PST is recommending end users consider
using the ASIO4LL driver or ensure their system has a CoreAudio driver
on their system. PST will be releasing a utility to test your system
to determine if ASIO or CoreAudio is the appropriate API for your
sound paradigms. Please keep review of the web support site or forum
for any updates.

Sincerely,

Cindy Carper
Technical Consultant

I have attempted downloading XP mode on Windows 7 but as it is my
personal laptop that I am running the experiment on I only have
Windows 7 Home Edition. XP mode is only available to Professional and
above.

Currently I am about to install a virtual machine on to my laptop and
then run that using XP, details available here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/.
I can only speculate at this point that it may mess up the timing a
bit, but will update here once I have everything installed and up and
running. Fingers crossed! The research I'm conducting is for my PhD
and I would really like to graduate at some point!!!

I'll be back with an update over the next few days,

Aoife