random assignment of stimulus to condition while keeping the assignment fixed throughout the experiment?

Regina L lapate at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:55:37 UTC 2010

Dear e-prime experts,

I'm having a seemingly simple issue where your thoughts would be much
appreciated:

I have a set of stimuli (eg, snakes), half of which I want to randomly
assign to condition A, and the other half to condition B (for a given
participant; condition here refers to presentation type).
If I were presenting each stimulus only once, this would be easy to
accomplish (e.g., by simply nesting a list of all the snake stimuli -
where selection is random without replacement- in both a list of
condition A and in a list of condition B).

However, I'd like to present each stimulus twice to a given
participant-- so, if e.g., "snake1.bmp" got assigned to the condition
A, I would like to present it one more time during the experiment,
again in condition A.

I am having trouble figuring out how to accommodate these needs in an
eprime list format. In other words, I would like to be able to
generate the random assignment of stimulus to condition, and to use
this assignment information more than once during the experiment
(i.e., twice).

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts!

Regina