joysticks

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 17 14:49:00 UTC 2010

Hi David,
Thanks for the clarification. The ambiguity isn't really helped by manufacturers of 'arcade style' joystick parts (c.f. http://www.ultimarc.com/ultrastik_info.html) who promise analogue style sticks "for today's games", but yes, I do require one that provides a biaxial vector rather than merely a direction. As such, a 'flight simulator X6000 mega supersonic pro XP' or whatever would be a better choice than a C64 joystick, but the latter just seems more appropriate for any self-respecting lab! Sadly, my technical abilities are rather limited when it comes to actually fiddling with screwdrivers and components (my new IKEA desk at home was quite the failure), but I'll have a chat with the lab technician.

As for C=64: it's brilliant, I also did my first programming on those machines (though badly, of course, I'm no Mozart!), although I was 8 or 10 or so. These days, with consoles and whatnot, I doubt kids will learn programming as being closely related to games... Oh, and speaking of Donkey Kong, I believe it was 'Super Mario's ('Jumper', in Donkey Kong, if I'm not mistaken) 25th birthday this week...

Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow