Running E-Prime experiments online

tudor tudor3 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 08:01:49 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I have an E-Prime script for an experiment that measures subjects'
reaction times to a simple number comparison task. The design of the
experiment is such that the subjects need to run the experiment daily
for 3 weeks, which is why I intend to have them run it from their
homes, online, rather than asking them to come each day into the lab.

I thought it would be the easiest for the subjects if their daily task
is to login to a website and run the script through their Internet
browser. This will enable me to monitor their performance every day,
which is quite important. The data files (which are small, < 1 MB)
would be stored on the server.
However I am concerned that, in this case, the reaction times will not
be accurate, because, unless the script is somehow ran "locally",
there will probably be a significant (and variable) Internet lag
between their response and the moment the response is registered.
On the other hand, if I choose to run the experiment "offline" by
having them run a copy of the script on their computers, I will have
no knowledge of their performance before the end of the 3 weeks (I
would not want to ask them to submit the data files every day).

Since I am very new to E-Prime, I am not sure what would be the best
way to go about running this experiment. Can anyone help? Many thanks
in advance!