Running E-Prime experiments online

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Sep 24 12:39:50 UTC 2010

Couple of thoughts:

-          That would be far easier. The only thing I could think of which you might try is to have people log on to your system through remote desktop (mstsc) and see if you can run E-Prime that way. Last time I tried that (i.e. last time I tried to work on an e-prime experiment from home), this failed, however.

-          The problem with Ben's idea here is that you'd require each of your subjects to have an E-Prime license key (cost of which is about 650 Euro, last time I checked).

Alternatively, and MUCH easier, is to learn a simple bit of Flash and let them run Flash experiments from your server. It's very easy to program (in comparison with trying to figure out how, if at all possible, to run E-Prime on a server!), rather easy to learn (Flash comes with a very easy tutorial that gets you doing cool things within hours), and although the timing is rather inaccurate, it's better than nothing. Cheaper, and to mind, better, is to run stuff on Silverlight and design experiments using Expression Blend. It's free for university students (google 'Microsoft Dreamspark'), can do Visual Basic (but later versions), and more properly object based than Flash.

You should consider:

-          Running experiments from a server (rather than a local computer) brings inaccuracy due to latency problems;

-          Running experiments from local computers connected to a server brings inaccuracy due to the fact that you don't have a clue as to what they're running.

Therefore, E-Prime won't do much better than anything other out there. If you're very new to E-Prime, I recommend learning something else instead - transition from E-Prime to proper programming is harsher than the other way around.

Cheers,

Mich

Michiel Spapé

Research Fellow