selecting an image with the mouse cursor by contact alone (without clicking)

Erin erin.siebert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:35:24 UTC 2011

I want find out how to make an image selection happen by simply having
the mouse cursor contact an image, without any clicking. My experiment
is actually a match-to-sample task for chimpanzees using a joystick
without buttons. I have successfully set up the joystick to control
the mouse cursor in E-Prime, so the chimp can control the mouse cursor
using the joystick. I want the chimp to be able to select an image by
simply contacting the image with the mouse cursor.

The experiment will have three images displayed- a sample image at the
top of the screen (no response if contacted), then below, 2 images:
one image that matches the sample (correct if contacted), and a non-
matching foil image (incorrect if contacted).

So, I need to figure out how to have an image selection happen by
contact with the mouse cursor alone, and how to designate the image
response as correct or incorrect. I have searched the E-Prime help,
and checked the forums with no luck.  I downloaded the sample
experiment "Response Areas For Mouse Input Sample," but I am not sure
how to adapt it to select an image without a click.  I am new to E-
Prime, and would appreciate any information. thank you.

Erin