Fwd: How to determine/maintain probabilistic ratios of stimuli presentations

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 16 18:36:28 UTC 2011

Ravinda

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
PST's trained staff takes any and all questions
at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, and they strive to respond to all requests in
24-48 hours -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full
use of it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST
Web Support, please extend the courtesy of
posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

At 8/15/2011 10:37 AM Monday, you wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I am new at e-prime. I wish to know the following:
>
>1] How to maintain/determine probabilistic ratios of two kinds of
>stimuli (say, a blue and a yellow square) for their appearance on comp
>screen over a hundred trials, such that on most key-presses their
>predetermined/desired ratios are maintained?

Not sure I fully understand your question, and if
I did I would probably not have an answer.  But
if you merely mean to randomly present, say, 20
blue squares and 80 yellow squares over 100
trials, then you might simply make a List with
one row for blue squares, one row for yellow
squares, and set Weights to 20 and 80, respectively.

>2] How to initialize and declare GLOBAL variables in e-prime?

This is covered in Chapter 4 of the User's Guide
that came with E-Prime.  In general, everyone who
uses E-Prime should first work through *all* the
tutorials in the Getting Started and User's
Guides before starting their first project.  You
might also try Michiel Spapé's E-Primer at
<http://step.psy.cmu.edu/materials/EPrimer.pdf>http://step.psy.cmu.edu/materials/EPrimer.pdf
.