Stim timing adjustment in a continous loop

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Feb 9 15:51:11 UTC 2011

Hi,
You mean, you use a classical method of adjustment? I made an experiment, I think in 2001 or so, pretty much doing exactly what you want, but with A-B----C------------ rather than B----C, and written in Turbo Pascal. Pascal was already outdated, but still pretty new compared to psychophysiology itself :)
Anyway,
1. YES, you can do that using E-Prime. But it won't be very easy, and probably easier in Pascal
2. YES, I did (see above).
3. Know that E-Prime isn't brilliant with audio (as I've remarked here before), and audio tones may get cut. This is precisely what would horrify anyone with some psychophysiological training, it certainly does to me. What you might and really should do is:
- Get syntrillium cooledit 2 (long out of date, called adobe audition nowadays, which is bloated - adobe-style - and doesn't offer much you'll find use for), or any wave-editing tool which offers millisecond time format for convenience.
- Make ALL intervals, using generate tone and generate silence, like ----A----B--------, ---A------B--------, etc. Make sure to include a constant amount of silence before the first tone and after the second tone. Make sure both tones have a little envelope (fade in/out), to avoid clicks at the beginning and end of the tone. This may feel like an insane amount of work, but it's worth it, because A) you'll know your stimuli, B) you'll achieve 1 / 44.1 (about 0.02) ms timing accuracy (instead of 1 ms). Name them something like 50.wav, 100.wav etc, with each number being the timing.
- Finally, in E-Prime, use a procedure like this:
1. short inline:
	Dim currentinterval as integer
	currentinterval = 1000 'base interval
2. Label1
	c.SetAttrib "soundfilename", cstr(currentinterval) & ".wav"
4. SlideDisplay called SlideDisplay1 with duration = infinite, allowable response is {LEFT}{RIGHT}{ENTER}. On the SlideDisplay is placed a text with "Press left to make the interval shorter, right to make it longer, enter if satisfied" and a sound with filename [soundfilename].
5. Last inline (sorry for the lack of case, David):

	If SlideDisplay1.Resp = "{LEFT}" then
		currentinterval = currentinterval - 50
		if currentinterval < 50 then currentinterval = 50 'to avoid 0 interval
		goto Label1
	else
	   if SlideDisplay1.RESP = "{RIGHT}" then
		currentinterval = currentinterval + 50
		if currentinterval > 2000 then currentinterval = 2000 'to keep a boundary
	   end if
       end if

Variations, like your looping business can be easily extrapolated from this simple example.
That's it.
Cheers,
Mich

Michiel Spapé