placeholder in object name?

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 15:42:59 UTC 2011

Hiya,
Fair question, it sometimes bugs me as well. Perhaps David can provide a better answer than I, but I believe, tentatively, no. That is, we can't just make variables on the fly, such that
Dim part1 as string
part1 = "a"
Dim part1 & "b" as string
...Will not result in a new variable, called ab, being created, but rather that an error is being thrown. Sadly. A true dynamic programming language should have such abilities, but not, as far as I know, VB (although one might make such a programming language using VB, perhaps?).

That said, there is usually a way around it in the form of using arrays or creating whole new objects. I.e. you can not only have such simple things like an array of integers, but also create an indexed object, so that decksoutcome(1).States(showdecks) should be possible. I personally find it easier, however, to start using a different language rather than getting frustrated with E-prime.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow