Indents, spaces, and tabs

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Jan 11 19:44:43 UTC 2011

[Continued from "Repeat command blocks"
(http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/828df2e990ee7270
)]

At 1/11/2011 11:58 AM Tuesday, Michiel Spape wrote:
>Sorry to other people whom I haven't replied to yet. I saw loads of
>code and my flu told my brain that I shouldn't bother.

Sorry to hear you were ill, I missed you (was hoping you would have
better advice for a few folks here).  Glad to have you back.

>(as an aside to David: I'm going for tab indentation, you can see
>windows has set that to 6 spaces, but I'm addicted to emacs style
>tab indentation)

I'll take tab indentation.  That does have the virtue that in many
environments everybody can adjust the tab size in their viewing
program as desired (and it also results in slightly smaller file
sizes).  In fact, because E-Studio uses a tab size of 4, I just go
ahead and use tabs there.  But outside of E-Studio I like to use
spaces in place of tabs, that way I never have to fuss with setting
tab stops when I move from viewer to viewer (as long as the viewer
honors strings of spaces, which many HTML-oriented viewers do
not).  It also means that I impose my will upon other readers.

I could also accept a tab size of 6, but probably no larger.  When I
started with Pascal I tried using 2 spaces, and found that too small
for my tastes, then tried other sizes until I read of a study that
claimed to find the "optimum" (whatever that is) tab size is 4, and I
have found that works for me.  But 12 was really way too much.

Cheers,