refresh rate USB

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 09:04:38 UTC 2011

Hi,
Whilst that is true, he might just have meant the EEG (and so on) sampling rate. Obviously, indeed, "windows" can handle sub-millisecond accuracy just fine (provided, provided, provided), but the type of port (USB/PS2/Parallel/etc) and device make much more of a difference. If I remember correctly, PST had something to say on the matter, long ago, and advised always to use USB keyboards at least (rather than PS/2 keyboards). Have a look here:
http://www.pstnet.com/eprimedevice.cfm
... I did, just now, and it turns out you might well be right in a way. Have a look at timing characteristics and read through the article.

Personally, I have a pragmatic attitude towards these things. It may well be, for instance, that the PST SRBOX has superb timing characteristics, but have you ever tried pressing their buttons? I know, for a psychologist - mind and timing is everything - it is hard to remember, but those buttons take quite a bit of force to press. Imagine, for one, that it *must* take longer to press these buttons (they seem like soviet pieces of tech to me - i tend to like the look, but...), as opposed to say, a touchpad (which hardly needs any press), and that motor noise may well influence your experiments. For instance, if I do a finger-tapping test (press the space bar as often as you can within 10 seconds), I get average values of about 55 - pretty much exactly the norm from clinical literature. Now, I do the same with a mac keyboard (those white ones with buttons of about 3 mm above the rest of the keyboard, really light press required) - and suddenly i get values ranging from 65 to a massive 80. I say this difference (181 ms/press vs ~138 ms/press) is pretty massive (more than my average effect). So, my attitude is then: get good equipment, but don't stare yourself blind on the numbers.

Best,
Mich