refresh rate USB

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 8 12:43:53 UTC 2011

Hi,
Good that you thought of it. I am, however, not so sure of the weightlifter/wispy person thing.
1. Obviously, I know the idea behind testing within subjects - all my work has been like that (until now, actually). By your own words, however, you seem concerned enough for noise within subjects - the point of the current thread. I wholeheartedly agree, in fact, that you wish the 8 ms error (which should likewise be similar between conditions) to be gone, but have argued that the motor noise will be *much* higher than this tiny bit of variance. Only, after all, if your bodybuilder will *always* take, say, 30 ms to press the button, and the wispy person, say 60 ms, you would not have a problem. This is immensely unlikely. Of course, once you have an effect, I will not say it's because of this or that, but theoretically, it should take more trials for your noise to be cancelled out by your effect.
2. The problem may be worse, though. As I'm sure you know, a lot of stuff is said to happen at a rather late stage of response processing. What if, for instance (although I agree this is unlikely), your subject is able to inhibit/speed up/etc his/her response 20 ms prior to its registration in the SRBOX - halfway between the beginning of a press and the end thereof? What I am saying is that it is conceivable that one condition (depending on where in the decision model you place your effect) might well be more affected by the heavy button than another, thus making mince of even a within-subject design.

Whether this is true or not, I think the problem can be easily circumvented by just using a very light button box.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow