Tips needed for tweaking the standard likert scale script

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jul 21 15:59:45 UTC 2011

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

Try replacing

Do While Stimulus.InputMasks.IsPending()

with something like

Const  StimulusDur as Long = 6000
Dim  StimulusTargetOffsetTime as Long
StimulusTargetOffsetTime = Clock.Read + StimulusDur
Do While (Stimulus.InputMasks.IsPending() and _
     (Clock.Read < StimulusTargetOffsetTime) )

Alternatively, if you prefer to set stimulus duration in its Property
Pages instead of with an InLine constant, then set both Duration and
PreRelease to 6000 (in this case), and E-Prime will automatically
compute the TargetOffsetTime for you, so the code simplifies to something like

Do While (Stimulus.InputMasks.IsPending() and _
     (Clock.Read < Stimulus.TargetOffsetTime) )

Of course, you will find confusion either way.  For the first way,
any time you want to change stimulus duration you will have to
remember to dive into the code.  For the second way, you can change
stimulus Duration in the normal way, but then you have to remember to
always change PreRelease to the same thing (or, be daring and set
PreRelease to some one enormous value, but not so large that
TargetOnsetTime + Duration - PreRelease ever becomes negative!).

... six of one and half dozen of the other, you pays your money and
takes your choice.