Tips needed for tweaking the standard likert scale script

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jul 21 21:15:16 UTC 2011

Micah,

At 7/21/2011 02:07 PM Thursday, you wrote:
>Is there a function to search a stored variable for a specific number?

Perhaps the Mid$() function will do?  See that topic in the E-Basic
Help facility (or consult any VBA reference, e.g., my favorites, "VBA
for Dummies" or "VBA in a Nutshell").  InStr() might be another thing to try.

Then at 7/21/2011 02:25 PM Thursday, you wrote:
>Is there a wildcard variable in e-basic? If so I could do a check
>like, if stimulus.RESP = *3* then
>confirmed =1.

That would be nice, but E-Basic/VBA does not work quite that way,
although you could build something like that using the Mid$() or
InStr() functions.  I think wildcards like that are features of
scripting languages like Perl or sed, not regular computer languages
like VBA/E-Basic or C or JavaScript, etc.

I didn't look carefully at the full code that you are working on so I
don't know what I missed in my responses, I was just talking off the
top of my head based on general principles.  Glad you got most
everything to work.