How to avoid presenting targets consecutively

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Jul 22 15:58:09 UTC 2011

Tobias,

At 7/22/2011 10:06 AM Friday, you wrote:
>Unfortunately there is no command "draw new trials"
>
>That would be my way to go. Any hints?

The closest such commands would be List.GetNextAttrib and
List.PeekAttrib (see those topics in the E-Basic Help facility).  But
I don't think those will solve your problem, at least they did not
provide a solution for me when I had to do some particulary fussy
randomization with constraints (aka conditional randomisation).

(And before you ask, we worked around it first by simply discarding
trials during analysis that failed to meet the randomization
criteria, and later by doing the "make one suitable random order and
use that for everyone" trick.  It's trying to do all this
"on-the-fly" that gets us tied into knots.)

-- David McFarlane, Professional Faultfinder.