threading SoundOut/Wait and TextDisplay objects

Becky Prince rp677 at york.ac.uk
Mon Jul 25 16:31:01 UTC 2011

Dear Forum,

Can anyone tell me how to set up multiple threads in E-Prime?  I need
separate threads for running SoundOut/Wait objects and a TextDisplay
object.  I'm creating a task which presents a continous loop of the
following:

-SoundOut1
-Wait1
-SoundOut2
-Wait2

The subject adjusts the timing of Wait1 and Wait2 using key responses,
and the loop (trial) ends when the subject presses Enter.  I'm using
InLine scripts after each sound/wait object to check for any response
and adjust the next wait timing accordingly.

The problem is that I'm also presenting a TextDisplay with background/
default text, and I want to change this text display (to provide
visual feedback) for 200 ms after a response, then have theTextDisplay
return to the default text.  I can change the TextDisplay after any
response, but if I tell E-Prime to wait 200ms, then change the text
again, it introduces a 200ms delay in my contionous audio/wait loop.
The timing delay problem is resolved if I just set the TextDisplay
object to "clear after = No", but then the response feedback display
text is held on screen until the next response, which is
problematic.

Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated!

Becky

p.s. Apologies if this has been addressed in E-Prime support/forums
already - I've searched for related topics but couldn't find a
solution.