How to fade from slide1 to slide2 (inline?)

Erika Nyhus Erika_Nyhus at brown.edu
Wed Jul 27 18:42:38 UTC 2011

I am trying to program an experiment in E Prime and was wondering if you had
any tips/examples to help me out.

What I am trying to do is have subjects indicate their confidence in their
response by the length of time they press the response button.  While they
are pressing the button we would like to present a visual cue (e.g. a
growing bar or changing color) indicating the length of the button press.
This visual cue should stop changing as soon as they release the button and
then should remain stable until the end of the trial period.

Attached is a mini-experiment in which I have gotten the color of the
stimuli to change (adapted from the example given here) and then remain
stable until the end of the trial period.  But I have three remaining issues
that I would appreciate help on.  First, the stimuli should only start
changing colors when the response button is pressed.  So I need to have the
stimuli appear, as soon as the button is pressed it changes color, and then
when it is released it remains that color for the remainder of the trial.
Second, I need the total trial time to be 2500 ms including stimulus
appearance, change in color as the button is pressed, and as the stimulus
remains stable until the end of the trial period.  The code I have added in
Inline3 (c.setAttrib "Dur", 2500-(ResponseTime-Slide1Time) does not appear
to work properly as it sometimes results in very high values (e.g. Dur=5000
ms) or negative values (e.g. Dur=-500 ms).  Third, I need to log the time
when the response button was pressed and when it was released to get a
measure of how long the button was pressed.

--
Erika Nyhus, Ph.D.
Cognitive, Linguistic, and Psychological Sciences