How to avoid presenting targets consecutively

ben robinson baltimore.ben at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 20:08:34 UTC 2011

maybe you've already figured out your solution maybe not.  here's what i'd
do.

i would have a List1 with two procedures: Target and NonTarget.  set List1
to random.
* the Target procedure would have a List2 with two rows and one added
column, WavFile.  WavFile would be filled in with "[Wav]" to pull from a
column by that name in a nested list.  on one row you would nest the list
TargetWavs (unless there were only ever a single target wav, in which case
you wouldn't need to fool with a nested list), and on the other row you
would nest the list NonTargetWavs.  fill NonTargetWavs with all the
nontarget.wav filenames under a column named Wav.
* the NonTarget procedure would have a List3 with one added column, WavFile.
 again, if there's only a single nontarget.wav (apple.wav) you might just
enter that by hand in the column, WavFile.  otherwise, nest your
NonTargetWavs list.
adjust the weighting in List1 or in List3 to determine how many nontargets
are presented between each target presentation.

does that make sense?