eye tracking reading study

Alon Hafri ahafri at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 20:46:51 UTC 2011

Hi, wondering if someone in the group can help me out.

I am creating an E-Prime experiment using the E-Prime Extensions for
Tobii. For each trial, the participant will read a sentence, and I
would like to record reading times for each window of size 1 to 3
words.

I have experience with using list attributes to set Slide Image
position (and therefore AOI position) at runtime, as well as with
using transparent Slide Images overtop of larger images to act as
AOIs, but I've never done a reading study before. Since the words will
vary in length for each trial, but will need to be evenly spaced (and
on multiple lines conceivably), it would be great if position for
every window would not have to be specified but could be determined by
a script.

I can think of a few solutions, but perhaps someone has an easier one?
1) create a Slide Text object for each word (or window), and so they
could act as their own AOIs.
Drawbacks: You would have to specify locations for each one, and it
could be tricky lining them up appropriately so words are evenly
spaced.

2) Have one Slide Text object for the whole sentence and have
transparent AOIs overtop as the AOIs.
Drawbacks: You would still have to specify locations for each, but the
text would be in one object so would appear normal.

3) Suggestions?

Thanks!
Alon