Time drift between 2 different data streams

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 24 14:18:44 UTC 2011

Hi,
Did you just repeat the question? Anyway, the answer isn't much use, I would think; gigo, one might say.
"i want e-prime to read this signal several times during the exp; how can i do it? best, which command i have to use to let e-prime do it? do you think it's possible let e-prime to read the signal every, for example, 20 minutes , or it's better send this signal from the simulator every cycle (100 cycles - 100 identical item - in 35 minutes) and let e-prime read it everytime?"

This betrays a lack of knowledge of E-Prime, or poor wording, but in any case: E-Prime isn't very good at doing things in parallel or in terms of "read signal every 20 minutes", because it is heavily structured around principles that make sense for psychologists: trials, blocks, sessions. So, yes, if you want to read something every trial, or block, it shouldn't be too hard. But this depends on whatever you're doing with the experiment and your structuring so I, nor other people who lack telepathic abilities, cannot tell you. You might wish to start by explaining how the two systems are connected: serial cable? LAN? What are they doing? Is E-Prime merely logging your voice-key data, not presenting anything? In order to cope with drift, the two systems have to sync sometimes, therefore, connecting them will probably prove inevitable. This, in turn, may be less straightforward than you might think, so careful explanation is required for me to help you. Also, if E-Prime doesn't do much (other than logging voice-key), you might wish to just get rid of E-Prime and do everything in the simulator - have that log the voicekey thing.

Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow
Perception & Action group
University of Nottingham
School of Psychology
www.cognitology.eu

I m trying to send signals from the simulator to e-prime.