synchronize event markers with refresh rate

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Mar 29 19:21:37 UTC 2011

Hank,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of
others.  (Flash -- As noted in the most recent PST e-mail Newsletter,
we can all now access the E-Prime Knowledge Base without having to
log in.  Woo hoo!)

That said, here is my take...

Hmm.  Could you post some details on how you measured this
discrepancy?  Are you using the "OnsetSignal..." properties of the
stimulus to send your signals to your device?  And are you sure that
you have Onset Sync set to "vertical blank" for your stimulus?

I have to admit that the documentation in the online E-Basic Help
remains vague on when exactly OnsetSignal is supposed to send its
signal -- At the StartTime of the
stimulus?  TargetOnsetTime?  OnsetTime?  ActionTime?  (See the EP
manuals for explanation of these items, or my own discussion at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/39e899d3457d4917 ).

But let's suppose that OnsetSignal acts at the OnsetTime.  Then, as I
understand it, as long as Onset Sync is set to "vertical blank",
then, once EP reaches the TargetOnsetTime for the stimulus, it
further withholds the stimulus until the next vertical blank, then
presents the stimulus (which should now appear almost simultaneously
on the screen), sends the OnsetSignal, and considers this the actual
OnsetTime.  Thus, there would be no way for the OnsetSignal to not be
synchronized with the vertical blank, unless you do not have Onset
Sync set to "vertical blank", or I am just wrong about how
OnsetSignal works.  So again, we need to know  (1) whether the
OnsetSignal really does always coincide with the stimulus OnsetTime,
and  (2) whether you have Onset Sync set to "vertical blank".

Although I have measured many of these things in detail myself, I
have not yet done so for this exact issue, so I will be interested to
learn of your methodology and measurements.