Controlling cursor speed when using a joystick

Erin erin.siebert at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:03:51 UTC 2011

I want to control the speed the cursor moves when controlling it with
a joystick.  I set the joystick to emulate the mouse in my experiment
(inline Joystick.AttachToMouseCursor = True).  The joystick is quite
touchy, and causes the cursor to move very quickly across the screen.
For my experiment, I need the cursor to only move slowly, no matter
how much the joystick is moved.

I tried decreasing the mouse sensitivity settings on my computer.
This slowed the cursor down when using the mouse within my experiment,
but had no effect on the joystick.  I also tried increasing the
resolution display of my experiment (giving the cursor "further" to
travel)- also no effect.  I have also tried adjusting the sensitivity
of my joystick, but the cursor is still too fast.

E-Prime support suggested the following: "E-Prime does have some
limited options for positioning the mouse cursor and limiting its
boundaries. We could try to use a combination of the two to make the
mouse cursor move more slowly. However, this would require significant
scripting and could result in the cursor movement not being smooth"

My main question: Is anyone aware of a simpler way of controlling the
cursor speed in E-Prime?

If not, here is further information on this method:

E-Prime help suggested the following:
"I would recommend taking a look at the MouseDevice.SetCursorLimits
and MouseDevice.SetCursorPos topics in the E-Basic Help (accessed via
the Help menu). The former will allow you to specify boundaries for
the cursor, and the latter will allow you to position the mouse cursor
in a specific area. You could use a combination of the two to first
limit the movement of the cursor so that it does not immediately move
to one edge of the screen, and then use SetCursorPos to move the
cursor move slowly. You could also slowly expand the cursor limits as
the cursor hits the maximum in one direction. This would allow you to
give the appearance of the cursor moving more slowly. To do this, you
would have a loop that continuously checks the cursor position against
the limits that are set, and expand the limits in one direction as the
cursor hits that limit. This would require significant scripting and
could result in the cursor movement not being smooth."

I took a look at the MouseDevice.SetCursorLimits and
MouseDevice.SetCursorPos help, and I understand how this would work in
theory.  However, I am very new to programming, and I am afraid that
the scripting involved is a bit over my head.  If anyone can offer any
advice or pointers, it would be very appreciated.  thank you!

Erin