Controlling cursor speed when using a joystick

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue May 17 10:38:10 UTC 2011

Hi Erin and David,
	First thing: when I suggested looking around for a programme that could adjust the joystick sensitivity, I did not only mean windows settings in control pad. What kind of joystick are we talking about? A number of them come with native (but not necessarily required) applications that adjust sensitivity, and there are bound to be third-party programmes out there that do it for you, courtesy of the numerous coding gamers. I'd suggest not immediately giving up after having looked at the control panel.

	Second, I was wondering whether my suggestion of extracting angle and amplitude from joystick manoeuvres was understood. As joysticks tend to have a round interface, rather than (like a screen) a rectangular one, it is useful to remember that, in essence, a cursor position in joy-stick terms, of 0,0 (upper left corner) in one stroke, should not be possible. For this reason, as well as for the essential other differences with mice, I think it makes much less sense than one might first think to let the joystick have anything to do with a mouse. If memory serves, the new E-Prime (perhaps even the old one), comes with the possibility of extracting joystick data independent from mouse, and I think it makes a lot of sense to only /set/ the mouse cursor position (i.e. a mere graphic), rather than in any way /get/ it. One thus ought to move it by using angle and amplitude (this requires some basic trigonometry which I generally have to look up again and again), or merely angle, if you have a more classic one.

So:
	"Anyone have any ideas of how to make the joystick only "push" the cursor forward in E-Prime, and not "pull" it back when the joystick is moved back towards center?"

Well, if (previous amplitude > current amplitude) then move, otherwise don't. Sorry, I had a more articulate suggestion here, based on David's code below, but I'll leave that for another day, if you don't mind.
Best,
Mich

Michiel Spapé
Research Fellow