multiple mouse reactions in one trial

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu May 26 16:06:40 UTC 2011

Alexander,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
PST's trained staff takes any and all questions
at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, and they strive to respond to all requests in
24-48 hours -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full
use of it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST
Web Support, please extend the courtesy of
posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

(And to Mich, hat's off for saying what I so often say.)

That said, here is my take...

As liw hinted, you could collect multiple mouse
clicks for a single stimulus & input mask by
making use of the InputMask.Responses property in
inline code -- see that topic in the E-Basic Help
facility, and the MultipleResponseCollection.es
example in the PST Web Downloads area.  But to
get the stimulus to change upon each response
would take more work.  I think liw's approach
using multiple objects may be easier to for a
begginner, but if you don't mind diving in to a
bunch of code then an alternative (and not
necessarily better) approach would be to use the
InputMask.Responses property along with the .Draw
method of each of the various sub-objects on your
stimulus Slide.  The VAS example from PST shows
how to do something like this (note that their
VAS example is *not* a VAS, it is a Likert
scale!).  (And if you do resort to the PST
examples, take them as only a starting point for
coding ideas -- they have the virtue of providing
actual working code, but beyond that the code is
not a good model of good programming practices.)

"For a successful technology, reality must take
precedence over public relations, for nature
cannot be fooled."  (Richard Feynman, Nobel prize-winning physicist)