Randomising the Fixation duration

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 31 14:56:58 UTC 2011

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
PST's trained staff takes any and all questions
at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, and they strive to respond to all requests in
24-48 hours -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full
use of it.  3) If you do get an answer from PST
Web Support, please extend the courtesy of
posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

First, I agree that you would do well to work
through Mich's E-Primer, as well as the Getting
Started and User's Guides that came with E-Prime.

Now, the inline code method allows you to easily
randomize down to the ms, and without using
attribute references.  OTOH, the lack of an
attribute reference means that the data log
contains no record of the randomized fixation
duration.  So I would modify Mich's example as follows:

c.SetAttrib "FixDur", Random(1500,3500)

Then, in my fixation object, I would set Duration to "[FixDur]".  Done.

But if you don't mind (or even prefer) a coarser
grain (say, 1500 - 3500 ms in steps of 100 ms)
then you can accomplish this without any inline
code.  Just use a List, or perhaps a nested List,
to hold all the possible fixation durations, and
set the List Selection to Random.  Suppose we
call that attribute (i.e., column)
"FixDur".  Then, as before, in your fixation
object set Duration to "[FixDur]".  Done.  (For
more on nested Lists in particular, see Appendix
C of the User's Guide that came with E-Prime.)