Simulating Keypress (beginners question)

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 11:48:27 UTC 2011

Hi Marc,

If your different stimulus types are loaded from a List, you could
specify StimulusDuration in the list (-1 for stimulus type 1/2, or 3000
for the "nothing" stimulus) then on the data collection object, set
Duration to [StimulusDuration].  Unless there's some other reason you
need to do this with E-basic.

cheers,
david

On 01/11/2011 11:42, Marc wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> thanks for your input :)
> The main problem is that in case that Stim 1 or 2 is presented the
> program is supposed to wait until the user does actually react, no
> matter how long that takes him. For the "nothing" Stims the
> participants are told not to react on the stimulus at all, and what we
> want to do is record whether they react anyway or not.
> I tried setting duration to our desired presentation time for the no-
> reaction stims, but didn't know how to tell E-Prime to ignore duration
> time during the other stims. I read something about custom event
> timing, but wasn't able to really figure out how that works to the
> extent of using it...I thought it'd be something like "if stim=1 or
> stim=2 then OnSetTime=0 and [durationVariable=infinite] else OnSetTime
> = 0 and [durationVariable=3000]" but everything I tried with the
> commands the E-Basic reference provides failed.
>
> On Oct 31, 6:24 pm, ben robinson<baltimore.... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> if i've understood the question, this is very easy to accomplish.
>> on whatever object is presenting your stimuli and collecting your
>> SlideObject), set the InputDevice to Keyboard, Allowable responses to
>> "12" (without the quotes, which will make both 1 and 2 allowable
>> resposes), Duration to 3000, and EndAction to Terminate.
>> doing this will cause your Stim object to run for 3000 ms, during
>> which time it will accept responses of 1 or 2 only, and when one of
>> those responses is received the Stim object will Terminate, going to
>> the object in your procedure.  if no response is received the object
>> will terminate after 3000 ms.  this should be covered somewhere near
>> the very beginning of the Getting Started guide which comes with
>> E-Prime...
>>
>> ben
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Marc<marclatz... at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>>> hi there,
>>> I'm just starting using E-Prime (with some VB experience, though) and
>>> was trying to do something simple as that:
>>> There are three stimuluses ("1","2","nothing") displayed in a
>>> TextDisplay element which is set to react on event.
>>> Correct responses for 1 is 1, for 2 is 2 and for nothing I'd like it
>>> to be nothing at all.
>>> In case the stimulus is 1 or 2 the program is supposed to wait for the
>>> user to make his input, in the "nothing" case it's supposed to wait
>>> for 3 or so seconds and then go to the next stimulus.
>>> I tried to solve this via VB skills and I'm absolutely stuck here...
>>> My code:
>>> Dim Start as Long
>>> Dim now as Long
>>> Start = Clock.Read
>>> if TextDisplay1.CRESP = "" then
>>>         do
>>>         DoKeys "a"
>>>         now= Clock.Read - Start
>>>         loop until now>2000
>>> end if
> [...]

David Vinson, Ph.D.
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher
Cognitive, Perceptual and Brain Sciences Research Department
University College London
26 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AP
Tel +44 (0)20 7679 5311  (UCL internal ext. 25311)