a bunch of questions: sample/cycle count, accessing different context attributes

fledgeling e-Prime mastah kominiarczukj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 23:42:54 UTC 2011

Great answer. I must say, I am learning EP1 from the documentation and
some tutorials, like the E-Primer and such, which unfortunately don't
talk much about the coding part of it. Also, since coding ability is a
bit limited (like that 'you can't find the sum of weights' part), it
seems to me that one is doomed if he wants to do something that E-
Prime architects did not think of, even though most people would be
happy with it. It's a generic problem, so do not think of me dissing E-
Prime, it does have great features.

I found on PST website that you can access .sample and .cycle
attributes, but they never mentioned the totals of those; in fact,
they hardcoded theirs in the examples provided on the website, which
is very peculiar. Is there any reason why one would not allow you to
check the bounds of an array?

Regarding attributes, I simply don't understand why you would have
attributes.. Chapter 4 doesn't touch that very much, apart from saying
that attributes are logged by default, which is what I want. From the
code that I studied while writing my own thing, they seemed like
global variables and were used like normal variables, actually.
Similarly, accessing the elements of a List is done through
attributes, so that compounds the issue for me, suggesting that
somehow e-Prime's work horse is attributes, not variables.

Anyways, your solution is very good and I will put it to use as soon
as I can. Thanks a bunch!