a bunch of questions: sample/cycle count, accessing different context attributes

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 13 22:16:33 UTC 2011

At 10/12/2011 07:42 PM Wednesday, fledgeling e-Prime mastah wrote:
>Is there any reason why one would not allow you to check the bounds
>of an array?

For that, use the LBound() and UBound() functions -- see the
"Arrays", "LBound", and "UBound" topics in the E-Basic Help facility
(which serves as the E-Basic programming reference), or read up on
arrays in any available reference on Microsoft Visual Basic for
Applications, of which E-Basic is a derivative.  By comparison,
List.Size returns the number of levels (rows) in a List (and thus I
suppose acts like the size of an array), but this does not take into
account the Weights.  Each List has an associated Order object, and
Order objects have a Count property (as you have already observed),
but I cannot even begin to describe how Order objects work.

Again, Lists are *not* arrays, just as attributes are *not*
variables.  They each have distinct uses and behaviors.

>Regarding attributes, I simply don't understand why you would have
>attributes..

I am still working on a definitive answer to that, stay tuned...

In the meantime, please look at my posts at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/5425e03968cab428
and
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/b0ce54870b723fc3
for some very general introductory guidance.