Finding the right comments

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 11:45:40 UTC 2011

Hi Gilis,

In by far you're not the first and will definitely also not be the
last person to struggle with preventing stimuli to 'double up' when a
list is repeated. As David wrote in your previous thread, searching
this group and the PST forums should give you a bunch of threads on
this topic.

The solution you propose seems reasonable but the main problem would
be that whenever a doubling is discovered, the doubled word should be
replaced (or the trial with the double skipped and added again later
in the program, causing a potential new doubling etc). This requires
interfering with the lists, after which a list should be reset and the
randomization up to that point is then lost. It is possible to create
a new list from skipped trials that runs after the initial lists have
run (if doubles have occurred) but this tampers with a blocked design
which is often not desired.

In by far the most easy solution therefore is to simply split the
stimuli (or whatever the to be randomized values are) in two separate
lists that are alternating. I.e. first run a randomized listA then a
randomized listB, followed by listA etc. This admittedly results in
pseudorandomization but for most designs I'd reckon this is a better
solution than to tamper with trialorder 'on the fly', breaking up the
blocked design, having a memory heavy comparison process running
throughout the test etc etc.

best,

liw