Randomizing Block lists without randomizing the trial list

Poppy scarlet.quill at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 14:07:28 UTC 2011

Ok, I'm sure there is a remarkably simple way of doing this; but I've
been banging my head against the desk for the last 2 days trying to
pull it off.

Basically; I am running a repeated measures design whereby a
participant is presented with an image and answers 8 sequential likert
questions about that image (the image remaining on screen as each
question is presented), and then finally makes 2 decisions about that
image (One a Binary Ultimatum game question and 1 a binary Prisoners
Dilemma question) (again with the image remaining on the screen above
the choices). That part I have done and works perfectly.

The problem comes where each participant needs to see a total of 16 of
these images, essentially 16 blocks of the trial spoken about above,
and the order these 16 blocks are presented needs to be random. I've
tried nesting the images and questions within trials, and I've tried
different proc's for each trial, but everytime I try to randomise the
list it ends up mixing up the order of the images and questions.

Is there anyway to randomise the blocks, but keeping the trials within
the blocks sequential?

Thanks!