If then and loops

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 07:26:40 UTC 2011

Avoiding pedantry:
In basic you can just
if (condition1 and condition2) then ... which works almost exactly the same as the & in C (but not &&, which would be if (condition1) {if (condition2) {...}}.

Anyway, the answer is much shorter:
IF (present.RESP = "z" and strHit2 = "aHi") or (strHit2 = "aLo" and strHit2 = "aMed") THEN

Confidence.RESP = strHit2

END IF

Note the end if. All on one line is also possible, but note it freaks out if you then use end if. THIS is what is exasperating - if not necessarily limitating - about ebasic.
More likely, your code makes no sense in some other degree, though. Notice me putting in the brackets - they are useless - and comes before or anyway - but i think where you got stuck was in the length of the IF statement. I mean, strHit2 is never both aLo and aMed, right? In your original code it did not have an operator (or strHit2 = "aLo" strHit2 = ?), so, given a wild guess, you actually want something like this:
IF present.RESP = "z" and (strHit2 = "this" or strHit2 = "that" or strHit2 = "nothisactually") THEN
Confidence.RESP = strHit2
END IF

Notice that due to the precedence of and over or - both in C and basic - this is possible, but your previous code made little sense.
Best,
Mich