issue with multiple levels of nested lists

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:32:45 UTC 2011

Hi Erin,

Not entirely sure if I understood your description correctly but could
it be that you try to pull two levels from the same list (at the third/
lowest) level on each trial i.e. fill the first level of the middle
list with the items in the first and the second level of the
thirdlevel list?  If so: that will not work. On each trial only one
level of each list can be used.

Assuming that you need two stims of the same type at each trial: Is it
an option for you to divide each set of stims for each 'type' into two
halve sets? In that case you could put each stim from one halve set
into it's own level at the middle level (or top level even) and nest
into that level a list with the other halve set of the same stimtype.
In this set-up two items that are in one list (the 'master' or the
nested list) will never be paired, but random combinations would be
generated between the two halve sets of each stimtype. Alternatively
(in order to achieve fully randomized combinations within each type of
stimuli) I personally would use a set-up that uses a bunch of code to
first randomize the stimuli and then write combinations of items into
the list. I'd expand on that but rather first know if that would help
you out.

Best,

liw