E-Run program not working on Windows 7, works on XP computer the files were compiled on.

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Sep 26 18:33:31 UTC 2011

Weighing in, although I don't have much to offer...

First, Janet, thanks for your story about having better success using
a full installation of EP instead of the "subject-running"
installation.  This confirms what I have said elsewhere -- as long as
you have a full license for EP, you should *always* do a *full*
installation, never do the "subject-running" installation.  I do not
understand why anyone (with a full license) ever does a
"subject-running" installation instead of a full one, the full
installation has no disadvantage while providing several advantages.

Next, cjp87, if you search this Group or the PST Forum for threads on
Vista, Windows 7, or more specifically Vista/Windows 7 plus sound or
movies, you will find that EP2 has had trouble with sound and movies
under Vista/7 from the beginning.  By contrast, sound works fine for
EP1 under Vista/7, and sound & movies seem OK for EP2 under XP.  So
around here, whenever we get a new PC to use for running subjects,
although it comes with Window 7 we immediately reformat it for
XP.  We still use Windows 7 for *developing* EP programs, but not for
running subjects (except possibly for tasks that do not use sound or
movies).  Maybe sound & video will finally get fixed in the upcoming
release of EP2.0.10.x, but I am not holding my breath.

But you have now gone further (thanks!) and confirmed that you can
get the same error on another XP machine, so this seems to not be a
Vista/7 problem.

I do wonder about putting the movie files in a "dropbox shared
folder", probably because I do not understand DropBox enough.  I
would want the files to live locally on each computer, and not have
to access them over a network connection at runtime.

But the error message of "File Name on MovieDisplay has not been set"
makes it sound like it does not even get as far as looking for the
file, that does sound like the MovieDisplay object does not even have
a file name to work with, which as you say is really weird.  I might
have also suspected a codec problem, which is very common, but again
this error message seems to come before you have a chance to have a
codec problem.  And to be sure, I also looked for the "11045"
message, and like you drew a blank.

Anyway, this all leads up the advice that I usually lead with -- take
this up PST Web Support at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp -- they strive
to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, and this is pretty much
their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  And then please post back here with the results.

In the meantime, if it were me and I wanted to do further debugging,
I would try to find some way to have EP show me what file name it
*thinks* it is sending to the MovieDisplay, although offhand I can't
think of how to do that.  Or, with your stripped-down test version,
use the file browser in MovieDisplay to directly put the file name
right in explicitly.  Or, try putting the file into the same folder
as your program instead of in a subfolder, and see if that makes any
difference.

Good luck,