Paired stimuli paradigm

Elia eliavalentini at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 18:06:12 UTC 2012

Dear List.

I'm approaching to e-prime to create a repetition suppression
paradigm.
I'm striving to understand which is the best option for creating it.

My experiment is meant to have pre and a post cognitive manipulation
lists.
Both for Pre and Post there will be two blocks, each one composed by
20 couples (S1-S2) of stimuli belonging to the same modality (either
auditory or nociceptive). Prior to the incoming paired stimulation
there will be a fixation with variable duration. Afterwards, there
will be a 3 sec fixation cross and a VAS to collect ratings.

It is apparently very simple but I'm having several difficulties such
as:

1) How can I define a paired stimulation with fixed ISI between S1 and
S2 at each trial?
2) How can I pseudorandomize them (no more than 2 times the same
couple)?
3) Differently from Auditory, Nociceptive stimuli have no object
counterpart in e-prime. Shall I use a slide or an In-line script is
enough?

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

elia