OnsetTime Options in Task Events

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Apr 25 16:18:27 UTC 2012

Jens,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours -- this is pretty
much their substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

I take it your question is merely about the difference between
"TargetOnsetTime" and "OnsetTime", without regard to the new Task
Event feature (which I have not yet explored in detail).  In that
case, you may start with my essay at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/39e899d3457d4917
.  From that you should conclude that TargetOnsetTime is merely an
internal bookkeeping value that indicates only when stimulus
presentation is scheduled to start, regardless of when presentation
does start.  OnsetTime indicates when presentation does start, so
offhand I would think that you want triggers to happen relative to
OnsetTime.  An OnsetDelay of 5 ms means that a stimulus presentation
started 5 ms after its scheduled time (i.e., its
TargetOnsetTime).  If you add a delay of 5 ms from OnsetTime, then
your triggers should occur at, well, 5 ms after the actual start of
stimulus presentations.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training