changing opacity/transparency of an image

Erin erin.siebert at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:12:45 UTC 2012

I am trying to build an experiment where I incrementally "black out" an
image displayed on a black background.  I want to be able to set the image
opacity from 0% to 100% in 2% increments.  I will keep the image opacity
level constant within a session, but want to be able to change it easily
between sessions.  I know I could achieve this in Photoshop by putting a
black background behind my image, adjusting the image's opacity, and
re-saving the image.  However, I want to be able to draw randomly from a
very large bank of images for each stage of the experiment, and it would be
prohibitively impractical to adjust all the images manually in Photoshop
for each opacity level.

I found a post in this forum on how to fade between two different colors
(How to fade from slide1 to slide2 (inline?)), however I haven't been able
to find any information on adjusting  opacity/transparency.  Any help would
be very appreciated.  Thank you!

Erin