Hello All

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 7 20:46:12 UTC 2012

Well, while on vacation last week I did an informal survey among
family members, all native English (USA northern midwestern)
speakers.  None of the four adults had ever used the greeting "Hello
All", and never heard it spoken, but they had seen it in e-mails at
work and found nothing remarkable about the expression (but these are
the same relatives who say "usually always" to mean simply either
"usually", "often", or "always").  Two college-age youths had never
encountered the expression at all, and held no opinion about it.

Then later that night, as I left the campfire to turn in, without
thinking at all I casually said "Goodnight All", and realized that I
commonly use that as a parting expression to groups.  So even I use a
variant of "Hello All", and it seems that my startle-response to the
expression is unfounded.

Sorry for polluting the Group with my off-topic musings.  Back to
E-Prime stuff...

-- David McFarlane