using python to automate data translation process from eprime to SPSS

Kyle kylehdavis at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 23:33:05 UTC 2012

Hello,
I am currently struggling with trying to automate my data translation
process from eprime to SPSS.  I am not using emerge because I need to
create individual spss data files for each of my subjects.  I have written
sytax that automates the translation from the edat output (tab-separated)
to an SPSS data file but I need to figure out a way to circumvent e-dataAid
so I can automate the whole process and reduce the chance of any errors
during the process.  I was planning on using python so that I could have
the user select the files that they want to convert to SPSS and then it
does it automatically.  From what I gathered from python help forums is
that I need to parse the raw data txt document into a tab-separated file.
Is there a way to do this or documentation how to do this somewhere?  The
workflow would be something like: raw data txt file --> tab separated -->
spss syntax (it reads from a list file I created in spss) --> spss data
file.  I think the main spot I am stuck at is parsing the data from the raw
file so I can circumvent edataAid.  From there it seems like it might be
somewhat straightforward.  Thank you in advance for any help you can
provide.  If you have any tips for the python part of this process that
would be appreciated as well, but I know the group is for e-prime and do
not expect help with that.
Thank you,
-Kyle