E-Prime vs. E-Prime?

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Aug 23 21:16:27 UTC 2012

OK folks, another question from me on a cultural rather than technical topic...

Have you ever heard of E-Prime?  Well of course you have heard of
E-Prime, the programming product from Psychology Software Tools, this
Group revolves around it.  But I mean here E-Prime as in
"English-Prime", a "version of the English language that excludes all
forms of the verb to be", proposed as an addition to "general
semantics" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime ).  Have you heard of this?

This E-Prime goes back to 1965, long before the advent of E-Prime
from PST.  I first heard about E-Prime (the language) in a radio
interview with one of its proponents in the early 1990s.  So you can
imagine my surprise and confusion when PST introduced a psychology
programming product named "E-Prime".  Did PST not know that their use
of the term conficted with an established usage?  Or do I just happen
to have more familiarity with this linguistic oddity than do experts
in linguistics and psychology?  Just wondering.  Thanks.

(Note that I wrote this in E-Prime -- does it seem forced, or natural?)

-- David McFarlane