How to randomize the trial order under constraints

Johanna Xi johanna.xi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 04:46:36 UTC 2012

Hi!

For example, I want to present 4 stimuli in a block, A(1), A(2), B(1),
B(2). They are presented at random, one at a time, with the constraint that
for A and B, (1) is always presented before (2). That is, A(1) must be
before A(2), B(1) must be before B(2). How should I do that in Eprime?

For the above case, it is possible to list all possible arrangements and
choose one at random, but with more pairs of stimuli, it becomes
impossible. So I wonder how that can be done in a general way.

Many many thanks!!!